Calling 1-800 numbers from Canada may seem self-explanatory, but the rules are not the same as calling them from the US.
Some people assume that the moment they connect to a 1800 number from Canada, they will not have to pay for it. But in actuality, they can acquire large charges for things they were unaware of, due to not reading the fine print, or not having a clear understanding of the circumstances.
Some may even try to convince the phone company that they did not know how to dial properly, hoping to have the charges eliminated, however most phone companies will not tolerate this as a sufficient explanation. They will usually still be responsible for the charges they have incurred.
Don’t let this to happen to you. You need to know how to call 1800 numbers from Canada, and we can help.
What is a Collect Call?
A collect call means that the person or the company who is going to receive the call will pay for it. The operator will call the number that you have given to ask for the permission of the party, to be sure they agree to collect the charges from the call. It may be a bit problematic if you are placing the call from a country where English is not a dominant language. However, if you are calling from Canada, you can immediately request an English-speaking operator.
Keep in mind, you have to know the local access numbers. This will save you time so you don’t have to worry about them when prompted.
International Call Options
If you are not allowed to place a collect call, or the company that you are trying to call does not have this option, other methods of making calls to 1800 numbers from Canada are available. Try using the following:
- Skype – You may be aware that calling through Skype is free most of the time, and in certain instances making international phone calls will be possible. To use Skype, you need to install it on your phone or your laptop and simply just start using it. There are US toll numbers that you can call that will not require you to deposit money to your account. If you decide to call phone numbers from the US that do not use toll numbers, you can call for half an hour for less than $1. For such a small fee, making calls can be very affordable, especially if they’re important.
- AT&T and Verizon – These companies will make sure that collect calls are possible. They provide a list of local access numbers. Aside from the access numbers in the US, there are also access numbers available from different parts of the world.
- Universal International Freephone Numbers – There are times when toll-free numbers can be used by specific countries for free. You need to have access to the international phonebook so you can make these calls.
- Universal Freephone Numbers – These are numbers that can be used all over the world. This is ideal if you are calling 1800 numbers from Canada. Like call collect numbers, the call itself is free for the caller and the receiver will be the one to pay for the call.
- Google Hangouts – There are a lot of people who are familiar with Google Voice, which is a great service with a lot of features, however unless you’re in the United States, you won’t be able to use it. If you are calling from Canada, though, you can use Google Hangouts to make calls efficiently. This service also offers cheap rates for calling numbers from other countries.
- VoipYo – This is a great mobile application you can use if you’re trying to call 1800 numbers using your phone. People normally use this as their main choice because the fees are the lowest, especially when compared to other applications and options available in the market.
Some Benefits of Free International Calls
People who have never encountered huge phone bills before may not realize the benefits of using applications or services that will allow for free international calls. At times when the calls are not exactly free, it can be very helpful if the fees are not so costly. Here are some of the benefits you can expect from being able to make free international calls:
- With free calling internationally, you can call various companies or even use the services for personal purposes. If you have friends who are currently in different countries, you do not need to go through the tedious process of calling collect just to contact them.
- The process is really simple. You just need to have an adequate internet connection to start communicating, with minimal limitations.
- If you are going to try calling 1800 from Canada with the use of applications, there are additional features you can get that are not available with regular calls, which is an added bonus. Some applications offer better features than others so do your research in order to make the right choice. Isn’t technology amazing?
There are times when you need to call 1800 numbers without worrying about the extra charges that you’re going to have to pay for. There are some numbers that work but most do not when you are not located in the United States. If you’re trying to call 1800 numbers from Canada, it helps to be as informed as possible, and ready to use alternate services wherever possible to keep it affordable.
There are different reasons that you would need to make a call even when you are in another country. For example, maybe you have traveled to Canada, and have lost some items along the way. Say these items are manufactured by companies located in the US and you need to contact them for details. Calling their US 1800 number may be impossible, because you’re trying to avoid excessive fees. Having a range of options you can use to make free calls to their 1800 numbers will save you time, money, and frustration. Aren’t you glad to know you’ve got options?
With all of these details that you have learned, calling 1800 numbers from Canada will not be too hard to accomplish.