Cloud communication is the future. Making calls over the internet instead of traditional phone lines can increase efficiency and reduce costs. To set a VoIP office system, you will need a VoIP service provider offering virtual numbers as well as an IP phone or a softphone to make calls from. Here, we will look at how to use virtual telephone numbers with Cisco phone systems
Cisco Phone System: An IP Solution
Cisco is a telecom company offering a variety of phone products and software to enable better communications. Paired with virtual numbers from Global Call Forwarding, you can build a strong office phone system that will support your internal and external communications. So, how do you use virtual numbers and VoIP service with your Cisco phone system?
Purchase Virtual Numbers
To use virtual numbers through your Cisco phone system, first purchase virtual telephone numbers from Global Call Forwarding. We offer toll free, local, and international toll free numbers for more than 160 countries across the world. You can get one or multiple numbers as you see fit.
To purchase numbers:
- Sign up for a new number on our homepage.
- Under “Select Your New Phone Number,” enter the necessary information for the new number you desire.
- Then, on the right, enter the destination number. This is where you want incoming calls to be forwarded.
- View rates and select one that is suitable for you.
- Add additional communication features such as Call Recording software and Outbound Calling.
- Complete your purchase and activate your number(s).
Make a Note of your SIP Information
Once your numbers are ready to be used, you will need to locate your SIP information to use later for configuration purposes. You will need certain information such as your SIP PIN number, the password, and the domain.
To locate the PIN number for your account:
- Log into the Global Call Forwarding control panel.
- Under Account Overview, select Outbound Calling.
- In the first column, locate your PIN number.
- Then, navigate to the right side and click on the Tools icon.
- A pop-up will appear.
- Scroll down to Password.
- Now, note your SIP PIN number and Password.
- The domain for Global Call Forwarding is mysipaccount.net.
Configure Your Cisco Phone System
A Cisco phone system is a voice over internet protocol (VoIP) phone system that, once configured, will enable you to make quick and easy calls over the internet. However, it needs to be connected to your VoIP provider first. Begin by setting up your device:
- Remove device materials out of the packing box.
- Connect the main desk phone to the handset by connecting its coiled cord to the “Handset” port on the backside of the desk phone.
- Then, connect the desk phone and the internet. Plug one end of the ethernet cable into the “LAN” port of your desk phone and the other into a port on your internet modem.
- Now, your phone is powered on and connected to the network.
The next step is to locate the phone’s IP address. This depends on the type of model you have. The most common way to find the IP address is through the Network configuration menu within the Setup menu on the phone.
Now, type this IP address into your internet browser and it should open up a Cisco webpage. Here, enter your Cisco login information. Check the documents included with the phone for the login and password. Contact the seller, if you cannot find the necessary information.
Once logged in, navigate to Basic settings and under Voice > Ext 1, enter your SIP PIN, password, and domain/proxy. On saving, your phone should now be compatible with your VoIP provider.
Using VoIP with Cisco Phone Systems
As you can see, the set up here is pretty easy and straightforward. Once you have everything ready to go, you can make high profile calls with high call quality and reliability. Build your IP office system and watch it increase efficiency and manage calls better.