Expand your business globally and establish a local presence in key target markets cost-effectively with geographic phone numbers. Learn what geographic numbers are and how your business can use them to grow and expand.
What are Geographic Numbers?
Geographic numbers — also called local phone numbers — are regular phone numbers with a state or country’s numbering plan. They have area codes to determine a location (city, state, region) so that people receiving calls can determine where the caller is calling from.
Since geographic phone numbers are regular, local phone numbers, callers are charged a normal local calling rate for each call. This makes local phone numbers popular among businesses as both they and their customers can connect with each other for low local calling fees.
With cloud telephony, however, your business is not limited to its immediate location. You can buy geographic numbers from anywhere globally and then forward incoming calls made to those numbers to your main office in a different location. Callers won’t know the difference and won’t be charged differently, even if the final destination of their call is another country.
Check out our country coverage page to see what types of numbers we offer for different countries and regions. Can’t find what you are looking for? Speak with our communications experts to find customized solutions for your business communication needs!
Examples of Geographic Numbers
In the United States, similar to other countries, each state and city has unique US area codes, followed by the subscriber number. For example, Miami geographic numbers will have local Miami area codes (305, 786) unique to the city. This way, people receiving the call know the call comes from someone in or associated with Miami.
Geographic Number Format
The format for local phone numbers differs based on their country of origination. In other words, the standard format for Mumbai is different from Dublin.
But generally, the geographic number format includes the country code, trunk prefix (0), city or state area code, and the subscriber number:
(+ country code) + (0) + (area code) + SN.
*Note: Not all formats require a trunk prefix. To learn more, check out our list of international call prefixes.
Let’s break this down with an example of a Canada geographic number.
- Canada country code: +1
- Trunk prefix: N/A
- Toronto (city) area code: 647
- Subscriber number: 7 digits
So, a Toronto phone number format would be (+1) (647) xxx-xxxx.
Here’s another example for Netherlands geographic numbers.
- Netherlands country code: +31
- Trunk prefix: 0
- Amsterdam (city) area code: 20
- Subscriber number: 7 digits
So, an Amsterdam phone number format would be (+1) (020) xxx-xxxx.
Benefits of Using Geographic Phone Numbers
So, what can your business do with geographic numbers?
- Establish a local presence in different cities, regions, and countries.
- Make it easy for customers to call your business, no matter where it is located.
- Conduct local market research and test marketing before entering them.
- Acquire new customers and prospects in high target areas.
- Scale globally at a comfortable space and cost-effectively.
- Take advantage of advanced call management features.
- Streamline marketing efforts with call tracking and call reports.
Business Features Included with Your Geographic Numbers
International Call Forwarding — Forward incoming calls to any location and device of your choice to maintain business continuity.
Advanced Routing — Route calls in an efficient way for your business. Choose from time-based, location-based routing, simultaneous ringing, holiday routing, and more.
Cloud IVR — Use an automated voice response system for optimum call management and automated routing.
Softphone — Download our softphone app or use our web extension to make and receive calls on any device (laptop, computer, smartphone, tablet).
Outbound Calling with Local Caller IDs — Make outgoing calls with your business phone number from any location and device using local caller IDs.
Call Masking — Hide your caller ID or display a matching caller ID of a phone number you own.
Call Recording — Record all incoming and outgoing calls for future reference.
Control Panel — An intuitive online dashboard to manage all your call features.
Click to view our full set of features.
How to Buy Geographic Numbers
Global Call Forwarding has a large inventory of local phone numbers and international toll free numbers. You can browse through our inventory and buy geographic numbers online from any country.
- Visit our Pricing page.
- On the right side, choose the country for your geographic number (example: United Kingdom) and select Geographic from the dropdown box.
- Then, choose the city for your number (example: London).
- Next, select your new number for the last dropdown box.
- Then, move to the left side of the form and enter information for where incoming calls should be forwarded.
- Click on View Rates & Try For Free and choose a plan that works for your business. We offer five different plans.
- Add premium services, if desired. We offer Call Recording, Rollover Minutes, and an Inbound SMS plan.
- Click Add to Cart.
- Fill in the remaining information, submit your order, and wait for your service to be activated.
Trying to buy geographic phone numbers in bulk? After purchasing your first geographical number and setting up your account, your dedicated account manager will reach out to you to understand more about your business communication needs. Simply tell them what you need, and they will take care of you!
Buy Geographic Phone Numbers Online
Ready to get geographic phone numbers for your business? You can buy local numbers from Global Call Forwarding online through our website within seconds. Have questions or need help? Call us at +1 (561) 908-6171 to speak with our representatives or chat with us now!