Talkroute is a virtual PBX service. A PBX – Private Branch Exchange – system is a private telephone network that is utilized by a specific company or organization. PBX systems allow the company to communicate both within and outside their organization by means of various communication channels such as ISDN or VoIP. A PBS system also allows a company to have more phones that physical phone lines. A PBX system may be hosted or virtual, as in the case of Talkroute.
The Benefits of a Virtual PBX Solution
Virtual PBX solutions like Talkroute have a number of benefits such as:
- There is no need to purchase extra equipment.
- The PBX system is maintained and operated remotely.
- Talkroute uses your existing service provider.
- Numerous additional features are provided.
- This type of solution costs much less than an onsite PBX system.
How Talkroute Differs from VoIP
Unlike VoIP solutions, which use your internet connection to place and receive calls, Talkroute does not interact in any way with your internet, Wi-Fi or data connection to connect calls. Instead, Talkroute places and receives calls through what is known as the public switched telephone network (PSTN). For example, if you are having your calls from Talkroute redirected to a Verizon mobile device, the calls will be connected via Verizon’s network. This applies to each phone that you add to your Talkroute solution.
Your Talkroute PBX system is completely virtual; this means it is managed online and in the cloud. You can easily set up and manage your Talkroute service through the online portal. Even if you do not have internet access, you can still access your account using your phone. Unlike VoIP, with Talkroute, you have no need to buy extra hardware or software. Consider Talkroute to be an add-on to your existing phone service.
How Talkroute Works
To put it simply, Talkroute combines all your existing telephony devices into one unified system. You can choose from a range of specialized features to enhance your virtual PBX solution. Whichever plan you choose, it is easy to customize it via the online control panel. Features include:
- Auto-attendant: When calls are answered, the auto-attendant greets your callers with a welcome message and offers them a menu of customized options from which to choose.
- Call forwarding: Calls can be forwarded to the device or devices of your choice; home phone, office landline, or cell phone.
- Dedicated number: Talkroute provides you with a dedicated number for your business.
- Hold queues: To prevent you missing calls, your callers are forwarded to your customer service team in the order that they are received.
- Call announcement: You will always know which department your calls are coming from, so you can choose whether to accept the call or send it to voicemail.
- Custom audio: Talkroute provides you with a library stocked with audio solutions suitable for greetings, hold music, or menus. You also have the option to record or upload your own.
- Control panel: This online utility makes it simple to manage all your options and settings.
- Adjustable parameters: You can set all the operational date and time parameters for the Talkroute solution.
- Voicemail forwarding: All voicemails can be forwarded to your email account.
How to Sign up With Talkroute
Providing your forwarding devices have U.S. or Canadian numbers, you can sign up for an account with Talkroute. When you sign up, you will typically have access to your control panel within just a few minutes, so you can begin to customize your new phone system straight away. Your calls can be forwarded to any type of phone, and you will not be required to change your current service provider.
If you wish to continue to use your existing phone number with a Talkroute account, then you have two options:
Contact your carrier directly: They will forward your number to Talkroute. This is the easiest option if you want your callers dialing your existing number to be forwarded to your Talkroute system. For example, if you wish to use your office number, you can forward it to Talkroute while still retaining the number on your office phone for outgoing calls.
Port your existing number to Talkroute directly: You can do this by contacting Talkroute customer service and requesting “Number Porting.” Upon request, your number will be ported to Talkroute, who will then host your number for you. This is the best option if you intend to cancel the plan you have with your existing service provider but wish to keep your existing number.
Should you choose, at any time, to cancel your Talkroute service, you can port your Talkroute number to your new service provider so long as your account is active and paid up to date. Talkroute does retain ownership of any numbers used during the trial period.