What is a Ring Group?
A ring group, also known as a call group, is a feature that rings several phone lines when callers dial a specific number or extension. You can customize members of a call group to include departments or multiple teams. Inbound calls cycle through your predetermined group, using ring strategies like simultaneous or sequential ringing.
The hunt group strategy often comes up when discussing ring groups. However, this strategy only “hunts” through a sequence of phone lines (i.e, sequential ringing) to find an available agent. Whereas our ring group call management feature offers both sequential and simultaneous ringing.
How Do Ring Groups Work?
The call group feature gives your business complete control over how incoming calls flow through your system. Depending on your needs, the ring group strategy either rings all users at the same time or in a specific order. If the call goes unanswered or no one is available, our feature allows you to decide the call’s next destination. For example, you can route calls to a custom voicemail, redirect them to your IVR menu, or connect calls to a backup team.
How Can Your Business Use Ring Groups?
Ring groups are an excellent way for companies of any size to distribute inbound calls among specific departments and employees. Business call groups typically include sales teams, support teams, or the billing department. Here are some ways your company can use this feature:
- Set up ring groups to deliver calls to the most experienced agents first.
- Foster team competition by distributing calls simultaneously and the first to answer gets the sale.
- Simplify the call transfer process to avoid bouncing callers around different departments.
- Include backup teams in a call group to answer calls when other agents are unavailable.
- Organize ring groups to manage teams in multiple locations and different time zones.
A call group strategy helps your teams handle incoming calls more efficiently and deliver faster service.
Benefits of Ring Groups
The ring group feature is a great business communications tool for streamlining your call flow. Although the call may be traveling among a specific call group, the caller has no idea and moves through the system seamlessly. Here are some benefits of using call groups:
- Reduce call wait times
- Distribute workload evenly
- Never miss a call
- Boost employee productivity
- Improve caller experience
- Customize to your needs
- Each call receives the same priority
- Connects remote and global teams