When looking for a new business phone system to handle your office communications, you may have come across the term “softphone.” Here we will discuss what a softphone is, its uses, and how your business can benefit from one.
Definition of a Softphone
A softphone is a software that converts a device into a phone that makes and receives calls over the internet. In other words, it enables any device such as a computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet, iPad, etc., to place virtual calls. Add a headset with a microphone, a camera, and a voice over IP service, and you can even make and answer video calls through this software.
A voice over IP service works alongside a softphone as it converts voice signals into digital signals. And then transmits these signals from one destination to another through a stable internet connection. This is how virtual or VoIP calling is possible. Using VoIP technology makes it possible for businesses to stay connected and remain accessible from anywhere in the world.
Purpose of Softphones
More and more businesses are switching to VoIP phone systems for their business communications. Because of this reason, softphones are being developed to provide maximum benefit to users. What features come along with your softphone depends on your provider. Some offer extensive, advanced features while others offer basic ones. However, what features you need will be based on what you want to accomplish with your softphone. Consider these questions:
- Do you want to simply make and answer calls?
- Would you also like to set rules for forwarding and rerouting calls during off-hours?
- Would you like a softphone that complements your outbound calling efforts by providing a customizable outgoing caller ID option?
- Is it important for you to be able to update contact information and call notes within your softphone? And so on.
Most standard softphones will allow you to:
- Make and answer calls
- Transfer calls to different departments
- Forward and reroute incoming calls
- Set call forwarding rules
- Call outbound by customizing your caller ID to display that of the region you are calling
- Use call waiting settings
- Call by dialing through a dial pad
- Call with a single click
- Update and manage contacts (name, phone number, email address, physical address)
- Add important call notes that can be later referenced
- Check voicemail
- And more
Businesses That Use Softphones
So, what types of businesses can benefit from softphones? In other words, who uses a softphone? Companies that have the following services or business factors can utilize a softphone to increase productivity and efficiency:
- Customer support teams
- Sales and lead tracking teams
- Call center services
- Remote or multiple offices
- Traveling agents
- International clientele or contacts
- Businesses that need to record calls, and so on
Why Your Business Need a Softphone
The main reason companies are keen on using VoIP is its great cost-effectiveness. With a voice over IP service and softphone, you can:
- Call internationally for lesser fees
- Lower monthly communication charges
- Work remotely or from any location with the same business number
- Use advanced features in one platform
Get a Softphone Today
Are you ready to get a softphone to enhance and streamline your business communications? Global Call Forwarding can help! Sign up for our virtual phone number service and use our GCF Web Dialer for any device to make and answer calls through the internet. Call us at 1 (888) 908 6171 to get started!